We all know the holidays are coming. That means family, friends and…hosting! But don’t fret, you can take the stress out of feeding your guests by perfecting this buzzworthy recipe. Practice making your own classic holiday ham with a honey mustard twist. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory and will be the hit of any holiday party.
Total time: 5 hours 30 minutes
Prep: 25 minutes
Serves 18 to 24
- 1 whole bone-in Virginia honey ham (about 18 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite Local Hive honey
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with a rack in lower third. Line a roasting pan that has a rack. Wrap ham in parchment-lined foil. Transfer to pan, with thicker rind side facing up. Bake 2 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together honey, Dijon, brown sugar, and cloves.
- Unwrap ham. When cool enough to handle, use a thin-bladed knife to peel rind from ham and trim fat all over to 1/2 inch. Score skin and fat with tip of knife in opposite directions, to create a 3/4-inch-wide diamond pattern.
- Return ham to oven and bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Baste with some of honey-mustard mixture and continue to bake, basting every 30 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of flesh near (but not touching) bone registers 145 degrees, about 2 hours. (If necessary, add water to pan, 1/4 cup at a time, to prevent scorching, and tent with foil if ham begins to blacken.)
- Let ham stand at least 20 minutes before carving, or let cool completely and serve at room temperature. Thinly slice against the bone; serve.
Recipe and image provide by: Martha Stewart