Caramelized Shallots with Feta and Honey Tartlets (With Step-by-Step Photos)
Honey and feta are definitely having a moment. The savory-sweet combination is just what we’re all craving right, and these warm, flaky feta and local honey tartlets are the perfect way to get our fix.
For more recipes like this one, check out the lovely and talented @tiffanyangela.
Yields: 16 tartlets
Time: 2 hours
1 lb shallots, thinly sliced
3 tbsp unsalted butter
⅛ tsp salt
2 tsp white granulated sugar
2 tsp Local Hive Great Lakes Honey, plus more for serving
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup sour cream
Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- a. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the shallots and salt to help them sweat. Toss to coat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking until the shallots begin to turn translucent. After 10 minutes (or if the shallots start crisping too much), turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to cook and stir.
- b. At 20 minutes, add the sugar and Local Hive Honey and continue to cook and stir. After 30 minutes, once the shallots have caramelized, add the red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan, and cook while stirring for 5 more minutes. Once the shallots are done, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F with the oven rack in the middle and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the feta cheese crumbles and sour cream together until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Lightly flour your work surface, then unfold and lay out the puff pastry sheet on top. Using a rolling pin, gently roll the sheet out to be 12 x 12 inches. Cut the pastry sheet into 16 squares (each piece should be around 3 x 3 inches in size). Lay the squares onto the parchment paper, leaving a space between each.
- Brush the tops of the pastry pieces with egg wash.
- Spoon the feta cheese and sour cream mixture onto the center of each pastry, dividing it evenly between the 16 pieces. Then, evenly spoon the caramelized shallots on top of the feta cheese and sour cream mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove the tartlets from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Drizzle with Local Hive Great Lakes Honey, sprinkle fresh thyme leaves and serve warm.