Ah, tarts. Where do we start? They’re sweet, creamy, flaky, crunchy – everything we want in a dessert. And these tarts in particular take things up a notch with lemon curd and blackberries for a tiny bit of tang to the unique honey sweetness. They’re also perfect for toppings. Try rosemary, orange slices, strawberries, blueberries – really, just about any fruit will do wonderfully.
Check out more recipes like this one on our Instagram.
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Makes: 4 4-inch tarts
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar (or ¾ cup Local Hive Honey
¼ cup lemon zest (about 2 lemons’ worth)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
Pinch of coarse salt
1 ¾ cups flour
¾ tsp sea salt
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ cup butter, chilled and cubed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cold water
2 cups blackberries, chopped
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp Local Hive Honey
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
DIRECTIONSFor Lemon Curd:
1. Heat a medium saucepan on low. Whisk together butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt until combined.
2. Add eggs one at a time, whisking until each is fully mixed.
3. Cook over low heat for 8–9 minutes, whisking frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool, then place in fridge.
For Pie Dough:
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Add cubed butter. Using a pastry blender or forks, cut the butter into the mixture until the pieces are pea-sized.
4. Pour in vanilla extract and cold water. Stir until dough clumps together.
5. Move dough to a floured surface (or flour your hands and keep the dough in the bowl.) Fold dough into itself until the flour is incorporated and forms a ball. Add more flour if it’s too sticky.
6. Divide dough into quarters and flatten into four discs, about ½ inch thick. Wrap in plastic and chill in the fridge for 30–60 minutes.
7. Remove dough from fridge. Roll it out into 5-inch circles on a lightly floured surface and line four 4-inch tart pans with them. Crimp the edges if you’re feeling fancy.
8. Prick the bottoms with a fork. Line chilled dough crusts with parchment paper and fill each with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove paper and beans. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
To Finish Tarts:
1. Whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract together. Stir in honey and yogurt.
2. Place chopped blackberries on top of the cooled crust. Pour filling over the blackberries.
3. Bake for 30–35 minutes more until crust is golden and custard filling is set.
4. Cool for 5 minutes, drizzle with lemon curd, and serve.