Picnic Sandwiches with Raspberry Honey Mustard
These magical little finger sandwiches are perfect for a Sunday brunch or picnic in the park. But what really blew our minds was the homemade raspberry honey mustard that gives them their unique salty-sweet flavor. You could use any honey to make it, but what could be better than our limited-edition Washington Raspberry honey?
If you whip a batch of these sandwiches up, we’d love to see how they turn out! Send us a pic on our Instagram, and we’ll happily share your picnic pic with the world.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 16 finger sandwiches
INGREDIENTS2 loaves sesame semolina (or any other Italian loaf bread), unsliced
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3–4 tbsp Local Hive Honey
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup raspberry preserves
2 lbs rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 lb bacon, cooked
1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
1/2 small red onion, sliced
4 large handfuls of baby spinach
DIRECTIONS1. Using a bread knife, cut the very top of the loaves off. You don’t want the bread pieces to be split down the middle. Just take the top off so you can hollow out the bottom 90% and fill it with your sandwich ingredients.
2. On both loaves, cut around the inside of the bottom to create a bowl, making sure not to cut all the way through the bottom crust. Remove most of the loaf’s center.
3. Whisk together the mustard, Local Hive Honey, paprika, lemon juice, and preserves. Spread plenty of this raspberry honey mustard onto the bottom bread bowls but save some for later.
4. Press the shredded chicken in a layer over the raspberry honey mustard. Then layer on bacon, cheddar cheese, red onion, and baby spinach. Make sure to really stuff them all in there.
5. Cover the sandwiches with the top bread piece and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap, squeezing the ingredients together even more. Place the sandwiches on the sturdiest shelf in your fridge and top them with heavy objects to press them down – cast iron skillets usually work well.
6. Let the flavors meld for at least 4 hours, ideally more.
7. Remove sandwiches from the refrigerator, unwrap, and slice into about 8 servings per loaf. Serve with remaining raspberry honey mustard.