3 Must-Try Harvest Reserve Honey Recipes
The new Local Hive Harvest Reserve Gift Box is flying off the shelves for a reason: it’s 3 deliciously local honeys in one box, each one with a unique flavor. Combine honeys like these with a few other delicious ingredients and those flavors really pop out in a sweet way.
If you’re looking for a great gift for the holidays or just want to whip up some truly stand-out dishes, the Harvest Reserve Gift Box has you covered. It even comes with helpful pairing suggestions so you can really taste the difference from one to the next.
We put together these three recipes to show off the range of possibilities between our Oregon Blackberry, Washington Raspberry, and Cali Citrus Blossom honeys. (They’re great with any Local Hive Honey, btw. We just think they’re extra perfect for our Harvest Reserve lineup.)
HONEY BLACKBERRY COBBLER
Cook & Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup sprouted wheat or spelt flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts (try walnuts, pecans and/or almonds)
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Local Hive Oregon Blackberry Honey
- 1/4 cup Local Hive Oregon Blackberry Honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2–3 lbs of fresh berries or 24oz of frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all the crumble top ingredients. (You may want to melt the butter first so it more evenly coats the nuts and oats.)`
- In a medium bowl, combine Local Hive Honey and cinnamon. Add fruit and stir well to coat with cinnamon and honey. Put filling in a lightly oiled 8” x 8″ baking pan or pie plate.
- Crumble topping ingredients over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is browned. If top starts browning too soon, loosely cover the dish with foil while fruit continues to bake.
PICNIC SANDWICHES WITH RASPBERRY HONEY MUSTARD
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 16 finger sandwiches
2 loaves sesame semolina (or any other Italian loaf bread), unsliced
1/2 cup yellow mustard
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup raspberry preserves
2 lbs rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 lb bacon, cooked
1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
1/2 small red onion, sliced
4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Using a bread knife, cut the very top of the loaves off. You don’t want the bread pieces to be split down the middle. Just take the top off so you can hollow out the bottom 90% and fill it with your sandwich ingredients.
- On both loaves, cut around the inside of the bottom to create a bowl, making sure not to cut all the way through the bottom crust. Remove most of the loaf’s center.
- Whisk together the mustard, Local Hive Honey, paprika, lemon juice, and preserves. Spread plenty of this raspberry honey mustard onto the bottom bread bowls but save some for later.
- Press the shredded chicken in a layer over the raspberry honey mustard. Then layer on bacon, cheddar cheese, red onion, and baby spinach. Make sure to really stuff them all in there.
- Cover the sandwiches with the top bread piece and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap, squeezing the ingredients together even more. Place the sandwiches on the sturdiest shelf in your fridge and top them with heavy objects to press them down – cast iron skillets usually work well.
- Let the flavors meld for at least 4 hours, ideally more.
- Remove sandwiches from the refrigerator, unwrap, and slice into about 8 servings per loaf. Serve with remaining raspberry honey mustard.
CHILI GARLIC SHRIMP
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned, deveined, patted dry
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Local Hive Cali Citrus Blossom honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 lime
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, add more to taste
- Salt the shrimp with 1/2 tsp of salt.
- In a pan on medium heat, add the oil. Once heated, add the shrimp and cook for 2 min on each side. 2–3 minutes for larger shrimp. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside for later.
- Lower the heat to low and add the chili flakes and garlic. Sauté until soft, fragrant, but not brown for 2 minutes. If it begins to brown, lower the heat further.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, water and honey. Mix until honey incorporates into the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the garlic in the pan and reduce while stirring often for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add shrimp, a splash of lime juice, and cilantro. Mix to coat the shrimp and finish cooking them 1–2 minutes. Enjoy!
Chili Garlic Shrimp Recipe courtesy of Bold Appetite. Check out her blog for more recipes like this one!