This rich, fluffy dessert makes the absolute most of its unique flavors: orange, ginger, browned butter and raw & unfiltered local honey. This Orange Ginger Honey Cake is a far cry from your typical birthday cake. Since it’s sweetened with honey instead of sugar, you’ll get a memorable, nuanced sweetness in every bite.
When you’re sweetening with honey, it’s easy for cakes and baked goods to become heavy or oversaturated, but these mini ginger loaves turn out perfectly soft – just the right balance of crumbly and doughy. Serve them warm with butter (or maybe even whipped honey butter) and they’re as rich as any store-bought dessert but bursting with natural flavors. And since they’re on the small side, they make a sweet gift for graduations, birthdays, and special occasions.
A few tips before we get started:
– While you can make a single loaf with this recipe, mini loaves tend to cook through more evenly, preventing overbrowning on top. We recommend using four 6-inch mini loaf pans like these.
– While they’re baking, insert a toothpick into each cake. If the toothpick comes out dry, the cake is fully baked.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter, browned
- 3/4 cup Local Hive Honey
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 F and prepare four 6-inch mini loaf pans by spraying them with non-stick spray or a thin coating of butter and flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and orange zest.
- Brown your butter by placing it in a small skillet on medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Continue to stir and heat until the butter is foamy and brownish in color.
- Pour browned butter into the bowl of stand mixer.
- Add honey, orange juice, milk, sugar and slightly beaten eggs.
- Mix on medium with paddle attachment until smooth.
- Slowly spoon in flour mixture on medium speed until a cake batter forms. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate all ingredients.
- Divide batter between the four mini loaf pans.
- Place pans on cookie sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover loaves with a sheet of aluminum foil halfway through baking.
- Place the loaf pans on cooling rack to completely cool before removing.
- Drizzle with honey and serve with butter.
Recipe provided by Two Cups Flour.